Sheridan Lake Home & Commercial Inspections

Sheridan Lake Home & Commercial Inspections

 

 

The Sheridan Lake area has many beautiful homes in the area and a great area to live. If you are moving into the Sheridan Lake area give, Black Hills Professional Home Inspections a call to inspect your new home. Have an inspector that knows the homes in the area. Call Today! 209-6766

*****

Sheridan Lake, originally the Golden City, was an early mining camp in Pennington County, South Dakota. It was the first county seat of Pennington County from 1877 to 1878. The Golden City is now submerged under Sheridan Lake.

Sheridan began as a gold mining camp in the Black Hills and was laid out in 1875. It is the third oldest camp in the Black Hills. There were several mines in the area, including the Queen Bee, J.R., Blue Lead, and Calumet. One of the first rich placers was found there in 1875. October 1875, $3,000 worth of gold was taken out by placer miners. By February 1876, Golden City had several residents, four stores, and many houses. A stage line connecting Deadwood to Denver ran through the town, leading to more growth. In 1877, the town was renamed to Sheridan, in honor of U.S. Army General Philip Sheridan.  The courthouse was built by the citizens in late 1877 and in October, held the first term of the U.S. Circuit Court west of the Missouri River.

The circuit court later moved to Deadwood and the stage line changed course. In 1878, the county seat moved to Rapid City. In the mid-1880‘s the town caught fire, and many buildings were destroyed. By 1920, there were only 10 residents in Sheridan, and the nearby mines were quickly failing. Eventually, Sheridan became a ghost town. In 1942, Spring Creek was dammed and Sheridan was submerged and is now Sheridan Lake a recreational area for boating, swimming, fishing and camping.

The only thing that remains of Sheridan is a one-story house that was moved six miles to the south of Sheridan Lake just before the creek was dammed at the edge of a small meadow. This house once belonged to Johnny and Kit Good and the house had 12 outside doors.

 

Black Hills Professional Home Inspections 
Black Hills Thermal Imaging

Rapid City, SD
209-6766

©Copyrighted Material
2015